2 Signs Your Loved One May Need An Intervention For Drug Addiction

If you have a loved one that you suspect has a problem with drug abuse, you may wonder if you should try to intervene and get them help. However, you are still uncertain whether or not they truly have a problem. If so, look for the following subtle signs that your loved one may need an intervention for drug addiction.

Money Is Always an Issue

One sign that the loved one you are concerned about is having an issue with drugs is that money seems to always be an issue with them. Even if they work, they may come to you or other friends and family members for help with bills and other financial obligations.

Along with the money issue, they may also always ask for cash. If you offer to pay a bill in their name, they may become upset and demand that you give them money instead and that they will pay it. There is a strong possibility that they will not use the cash for their unpaid bill. Instead, it may go to buy the drugs they feel they need.

Even before scheduling an intervention, try not to enable them by giving them cash. Instead, insist on paying any bills with which they need help yourself. They may become angry, but if you stand firm, you will not keep enabling their addiction by giving them cash.

Clothing Seems Odd for the Season

Another sign that your loved one has an addiction problem is that their clothes may not fit the season. They could be trying to cover up track marks or lesions caused by the drugs. Or, if they are coming down off of a drug, their body temperature may be fluctuating.

For example, if you see your loved one wearing long sleeves and pants on a hot day, they may be covering up their skin to avoid suspicion. Or, they may be feeling extremely cold while the drug works its way out of their system. You may also see their hands shake from both the cold they are feeling and the withdrawal from the drug.

If you have noticed any of the above signs or other unusual behavior, the person you care about may have a drug problem. If you suspect this is the case and want to help them. speak with a counselor about coordinating an intervention for your loved one so they can possibly get the help they need to overcome their addiction. For more information, contact center such as Eastside Center for Family.